YOGA FOR HEALTHY LOWER BACKS (YHLB) – Book 2018 Edition
144-page book with 165 colour photos from Lotus Publishing.
N.B. This book is contained within the ‘YHLB Resources Pack’, which you will need for access onto a 12-week YHLB Course. This gentle and relaxing back-care course gives you individualised advice and support and teaches you self-awareness for posture, mobility, daily activities, tension release, flexibility, strengthening, +++
This ‘manual’ was first written in 2007 for participants in a successful Research Trial for those with chronic / persistent / recurring / episodic back pain run by The University of York and funded by the charity Arthritis Research UK (now Versus Arthritis). (Only minor edits have been done.) This book is therefore ideally used alongside a 12-week course of classes taught by a trained and registered ‘Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs’ (YHLB) teacher.
The aim being to enable effective home practice of back-care techniques and skills whilst on a 12-week ‘Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs’ course.
Additionally, it serves to reinforce learning by reminding how to practise well for life-long health forever.
Yoga helps both the body and the mind and works preventatively.
About this book…
- Gives instructions on appropriate gentle yoga to gain and maintain the health of your lower back – pain-relieving poses, relaxing, stretching, strengthening, mobilising, +++
- Useful for those with mild or occasional low back problems.
- Yoga teachers should not be without this comprehensive book.
- Interesting and helpful for students already practicing yoga at home or in class (although attending a 12-week course might still be extremely worthwhile to inform optimal future yoga practice).
- Contains: improved colour photographs; extensive information about how to perform the yoga; observations to be aware of once in each pose; variations, including use of props, and benefits for each pose.
- What is Yoga;
- Yoga Research;
- How to Find a Teacher;
- Thank you for Committing to Yoga;
- Yoga for Your Daily Life;
- What to do if you get a Sign of a Painful Back Episode;
- Yoga Practice Sequences (x 5);
- Suggested Timetable of Daily Yoga Practice;
- Long Descriptions of Yoga Poses with Colour Photographs (with sections How to Perform the Pose, Observations (instructions for when in the pose), Variations (including yoga prop use), Benefits);
- Twelve Weekly Class Themes;
- Anatomy of the Back;
- Warning Signs;
- National Yoga Organisations;
- Teacher Training;
- Authors’ Vision.
DELIVERY We are a social enterprise with part-time helpers. We send out items as soon as we can by 1st Class Post, but please allow up to 14 days for delivery.
OVERSEAS ORDERS Please order through our Contact the Authors (bottom of right-hand Menu) page, stating item(s) required and country.
Lotus Publishing kindly donate £1 for every book sale to this website’s social enterprise to aid education about the programme.
We apologise but this item is non-returnable, as we are a social enterprise set up to spread the word about this yoga’s benefits. Thank you for your understanding and we are sure that you and/or others will benefit from and enjoy using our educational resources that were found to work well for those in our research trial.
This manual was first written for participants in a Research Trial run by The University of York and funded by the charity ‘Arthritis Research UK’. The aim was to help yoga students practice effectively at home whilst on a 12-week ‘Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs’ course and also to remind them of how to practise well for life-long health forever. Minor edits have been done. This book is ideally used alongside a 12-week course of lessons with a ‘Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs’ teacher.