Reduce absenteeism, create a healthier, happier and more productive workforce and save costs by offering employees 12-week ‘YOGA for Healthy Lower Backs’ courses and/or the energizing and calming ‘Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs – Relaxations’ CD. This is the only fully-resourced, yoga programme available in the UK that has evidence-base.
Contact us on [email protected] to request our Workplace Health & Wellbeing Trifold Information Leaflet and to discuss how our Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs Institute teachers can help your workforce.
- ‘YOGA for Healthy Lower Backs’ is the newest innovative, long-term treatment option. When compared with other rigorously-tested, currently-available treatments for chronic low back pain, it was shown in published research to be a top treatment. It addresses all the physical, emotional, mental and social aspects of back pain within one effective, self-management package.
- Proven to be safe and effective for the long-term for those with a history of low back pain. (Research results from The University of York randomized controlled trial published in high-impact, top international, peer-reviewed medical journal – ‘Annals of Internal Medicine’ – November 2011)
- Proven to be cost-effective. (Results published in top spinal journal, US international, peer-reviewed, ‘Spine’ journal – August 2012)
- Those offered a ‘YOGA for Healthy Lower Backs’ course had on average only 3.83 days off work compared to 12.29 in a ‘control’/non-yoga group over a one-year period. In the UK, for average wages, this amounts to an average saving per person of £800 for productivity lost in that one year.
- As students are taught to self-manage their health and practise gentle and relaxing yoga at home for the long-term (or for a life-time), these benefits are likely to be even more impressive if measured over several years. The majority of those in the trial were still practising yoga at home an average of 30 minutes twice a week, 9 months after completing their yoga course.
- Single course of 12 classes is all that is needed to form a habit of regular beneficial yoga practice (6 weeks, mid-course break, then further 6 weeks); Classes last 75 minutes
- Designed for Beginners, but also suitable for those with experience of yoga
- Fully-resourced – student book, home practice handouts, relaxations CD, as used in original ground-breaking research and supported by Arthritis Research UK
- Yoga is taught in groups of 4-15, therefore offering other potential workplace advantages, e.g. improved team-working, improved wellbeing, support of colleagues.
- Added Benefits:- Yoga has been shown to improve stress-related symptoms and therefore our ‘Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs’ programme would be likely to further benefit those with depression, headaches, high blood pressure, anxiety, knee problems, shoulder problems, tension, digestive problems, mental fatigue, etc.
- Looking after employees’ health and well-being in the workplace is important, is encouraged by The Department of Health, and saves costs
- Published cost-effectiveness research shows £817 costs saved in productivity lost for those offered the ‘YOGA for Healthy Lower Backs’ course due to 8.46 days (70%) less absenteeism per person for the 12 months studied (based on average daily wage in UK) (£8170 for total for 10 people)
- RECOMMENDED BY NICE – November 2016 Press Statement on Management of Low Back Pain and Sciatica mentions yoga (and our programme and its associated participant research is mentioned in the long version).
EXAMPLE COST-SAVINGS TO COMPANIES
Potential savings of £4520 (after paying for costs) over one year period, based on 10 people on average UK salaries attending a 12-week ‘Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs’ course (according to potential approx. 70% reduced absenteeism as shown in our research).
£20,860 savings over a 3-year period is the potential value of this one course attended by just 10 employees, assuming continued employment and the same decreased absenteeism as in the initial year). This is a very likely scenario, as employees learn to self-manage their back pain, handle stress, boost their immune system, keep their body and minds fitter and healthier.
Scaling this up offers significantly more cost-savings and a happier and healthier workforce.
Teams of quality-assured, professional teachers can be provided under contract. Please contact us through our Contacts Page or [email protected]
‘Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs – Relaxations’ audio CD used in research could be of benefit to all employees. This stand-alone educational resource consists of 4 guided yoga relaxations.
Regular relaxation can:
- release physical and mental tension
- reduce depression and anxiety
- increase creativity, positivity and productivity
- increase mental clarity and focus
Please contact us through our Contacts Page (or [email protected]), if you would like to discuss:
1. a BULK ORDER OF CDs to aid employee health and wellbeing and to assess interest in our yoga programme
2. the possibility of a yoga teacher doing a one-off training session on Relaxation along with the CD
3. offering the 12-week ‘YOGA for Healthy Lower Backs’ course to employees.